Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A note of MySQL GUI and web hosting

For a long time, I used the phpMyAdmin to backup MySql databases used by my web site. Recently, the database grew bigger and the hosting company set time limits on how long a script can run. As a result of this, I can no longer backup my databases with phpMyAdmin.

The hosting company do provide the ability to do Remote MySql. By using the MySQL GUI program downloaded from here, I can do the backup from my desktop.

In my case, in order for me to connect to my database, I need to log into my hosting company and configure the database using Remote MySql to accept connections from the IP of my home machine. As with most of the ISP, my home machine do not have a static IP and I will need to find out that IP address first. Fortunately, if you just started the MySQLAdministrator.exe and attempt to connect, it will display an error with your current IP. But I still have to cross my finger and hope that during the connection, my IP address does not get changed.

Once you set the correct IP on the MySql server, you can connect to MySql server with your MySql/cpanel account. Once connected successfully to MySql, you can select backup, click new project, select the database to backup, set options and click Execute Backup Now. After a while, the program will prompt you for places to save your backup files.

Once you are done, you can do -File -Exit. Just to be on the safe side, you might like to disable that IP you enabled at the server.

On 20150607, MySQLAdministrator returns: user@h55.71.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net  IP:75.88.71.55

No comments:

Post a Comment